This version of the Annapurna Circuit Trek takes us on a visit to TilichoLake which at 4949m is one of the highest lakes in the world. The scenic beauty of this tranquil lake located high in the mountains is unsurpassed. After this side trip we continue on with our trek which involves trekking to Jomsom and then flying back from Jomsom to Pokhara. There is a sheer variety of scenery and attractions along the way unlike other treks.
The trek begins with jungle and climbs through terraced fields carved out of greenery. Then it goes through a canyon so narrow that direct sun penetrates only at noon and after that tall pine forest. Then finally the Himalaya’s emerge in sneak peaks and tantalizing vistas. Then on the 13th day at the Thorong La Pass there is nothing but mountains to be seen. With spindrift coming off four of the world’s highest peaks which loom on every horizon. Finally descending over the other side into the rain shadow and what is arguable “mini Tibet” in Mustang.
The Annapurna Circuit weaves through traditional villages enabling trekkers to experience local culture, traditions and architecture starting with lush farmland in the mid hills at the start of the trek. Then climbing up into the Himalayas the culture of mountain communities can be experienced. At the end of the trek we arrive in the Mustang region which has a strong Tibetan culture and unique architecture.
A highlight of the trek is Muktinath, a sacred temple to both Buddhists and Hindu’s that is one of the main pilgrimage routes in Nepal. Here water pours from 108 springs and a natural gas flame burns on top of water in one of the temples. Here we can observe hundreds of pilgrims and see the colorful sadhu’s (holy men) with their dreadlocks and painted foreheads.
- The beautiful Manang Valley
- Thorong La Pass – one of the highest high altitude passes in the world
- The amazing village of Kagbeni with it Tibetan culture
- Muktinath Temple – one of the most important pilgrimage places in Nepal
- Kali Gandaki Gorge – world’s deepest gorge
- Tilicho Lake – a beautiful serene lake and one of the highest in the world
- Day 01:Kathmandu arrival
- Day 02:Kathmandu to Syange (1100m) by road 8-10 hrs drive
- Day 03:Syange to Dharapani (1960m) 7-8 hrs
- Day 04:Dharapani to Chame (2710m) 5-6 hrs
- Day 05:Chame to Pisang (3300m) 5-6 hrs
- Day 06:Pisang to Manang (3500m) 6-7 hrs
- Day 07:Manang exploration and acclimatization
- Day 08:Manang toKhangsar (3745m) 2-3 hrs
- Day 09:Khangsar to Tilicho Base Camp (4140m) 5-6 hrs
- Day 10:Trip to Tilicho Lake (4949m) then back to Tilicho Base Camp 5-6 hrs
- Day 11:Tilicho Base Camp to Yak Kharka (4040m) 4-5- hrs
- Day 12:Yak Kharka to ThorangPhedi (4420m) 3-4 hrs
- Day 13:ThorangPhedi to Thorong La Pass (5416m) to Muktinath (3800m) 7-8 hrs
- Day 14:Muktinath to Kagbeni (2810m) 3-4 hrs then by jeep to Jomsom 30 mins
- Day 15:Jomsom flight to Pokhara (25 min flight)
- Day 16:Pokhara to Kathmandu by vehicle – 5-6 hrs drive
- Day 17:Departure day
- All accommodation as specified in the itinerary
- All domestic flights and transportation as stated in the itinerary
- Arrival and departure airport transfers
- Trekking fees and permits
- Set meals during trekking (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- One porter per 2 people and local mountain guide for your group
- Insurances for porters and guides
- Farewell dinner and cultural show
- International flights to Nepal
- Visa costs
- Meals other than those listed in inclusions (this includes additional tea or coffee, soft drinks, alcoholic beverages and water)
- Laundry, towels, hot showers where optional, internet access, recharging of batteries and other items of a personal nature
- Donations to enter monasteries, museums etc
- Tips for porters and guides
- Day 1Kathmandu arrival It’s arrival day today and you will be collected from the airport by our company representative who will escort you to your hotel. There will be a briefing this evening as we prepare for our trek. Overnight in Kathmandu. Included meals – none.
- Day 2Kathmandu to Syange (1100m) by road 8-10 hrs drive It’s a long drive today and our destination is Syange. Leaving early in the morning we can enjoy the beautiful scenery consisting of lush green hills, terraced fields, winding rivers and a backdrop of mountains that we can glimpse along the way. Overnight in Syange. Included meals – breakfast, lunch, dinner.
- Day 3Syange to Dharapani (1960m) 7-8 hrs It’s our first day of trekking today and we start with a bridge crossing and trekking through fields of barley, rice and potato. The waterfalls along the way are also beautiful. We have arrived in the picturesque Manang Valley and Dharapani is one of the biggest villages in the area. Overnight in Dharapani. Included meals – breakfast, lunch, dinner.
- Day 4Dharapani to Chame (2710m) 5-6 hrs Our trekking today takes us on a few steep forested ridges but we are rewarded with great views of LamjungHimal, Annapurna II and Annapurna IV. Along the way we can enjoy a small hot springs which is a welcome relaxing diversion. Overnight at Chame. Included meals – breakfast, lunch, dinner.
- Day 5Chame to Pisang (3300m) 5-6 hrs Today we walk through a steep and narrow valley and have our first view of the PaungdaDanda, a dramatically sheer rock face that rises 1500m from the river below. From this spot we can enjoy great views of Annapurna II to the south and Pisang Peak to the northeast. From here we descend to the Manang Valley where we can enjoy the incredibly picturesque location. Overnight in Pisang. Included meals – breakfast, lunch, dinner.
- Day 6Pisang to Manang (3500m) 6-7 hrs We walk to Manang today taking the route which takes us through Upper Pisang via Geru. There are dramatic views of Mt Annapurna, Pisang Peak and others along this route. Along the way we stop to visit the Barge Monastery which is the largest in the district. The climate is starting to be colder now that we are at higher altitude. Overnight in Manang. Included meals – breakfast, lunch, dinner.
- Day 7Manang exploration and acclimatization We have a full day in Manang today to allow our bodies to adjust to the altitude. It’s a great idea to do a short trek to a higher elevation to assist with this. Our options are a visit to BhojoGumba or the Gangapurna Lake. Overnight in Manang. Included meals – breakfast, lunch, dinner.
- Day 8Manang toKhangsar (3745m) 2-3 hrs Leaving Manang this morning our trek climbs up to the village of Khangsar. We descend down through a gorge and Tilicho Peak is far above us shrouded in cloud. We pass through small settlements and visit the Tore Monastery as well as enjoying the beautiful Khangsar River. Overnight in Khangsar. Included meals – breakfast, lunch, dinner.
- Day 9Khangsar to Tilicho Base Camp (4140m) 5-6 hrs Starting our trek this morning we walk through grassy fields until we reach a point where incredible views of the entire valley open up for us. Descending steeply from this viewpoint we arrive at Tilicho Base Camp where we spend the night in a tented camp. Overnight in Tilicho Base Camp. Included meals – breakfast, lunch, dinner.
- Day 10Trip to Tilicho Lake (4949m) then back to Tilicho Base Camp 5-6 hrs Get ready for some spectacular views today as we walk through a moraine with the huge peaks of Tilicho, Nilgiri, Khangsar and Muktinath close by. We soon reach TilichoLake which is one of the highest in the world. It’s serene beauty evident as the surrounding peaks are reflected in it’s clear turquoise waters. We take some time to enjoy the views and bask in the beauty of this place before returning to our camp at Tilicho Base Camp. Overnight at Tilicho Base Camp. Included meals – breakfast, lunch, dinner.
- Day 11Tilicho Base Camp to Yak Kharka (4040m) 4-5- hrs As we trek back from Tilicho Base Camp the track leads us out of the Marsyangdi Valley and we leave the trees behind into a more alpine landscape. We pass through the ruins of the old Khangsar village and cross the river to arrive at Yak Kharka. True to it’s name Yak Kharka has a plentiful supply of yaks grazing nearby as well as amazing views of Annapurna III. Overnight in Yak Kharka. Included meals – breakfast, lunch, dinner.
- Day 12Yak Kharka to ThorangPhedi (4420m) 3-4 hrs It’s all uphill to ThorangPhedi as we pass through small villages and towering cliffs. On the way we can enjoy beautiful views of Mt Gundang, Mt Syang, Thorung Peak and Mt Khatungkan. This is our last stop before the Thorong La Pass. Overnight in ThorangPhedi. Included meals – breakfast, lunch, dinner.
- Day 13ThorangPhedi to Thorong La Pass (5416m) to Muktinath (3800m) 7-8 hrs Today is the day that we will be crossing one of the highest passes in the world. It’s a long day today with a packed lunch but the pass crossing is not too difficult. From the top of the pass we can enjoy panoramic mountain views as well as incredible views along the way. After the pass we head down to Muktinath which is the site of one of the most important pilgrimage destinations in Nepal. Overnight in Muktinath. Included meals – breakfast, lunch, dinner.
- Day 14Muktinath to Kagbeni (2810m) 3-4 hrs then by jeep to Jomsom 30 mins This morning we have time to visit the Muktinath Temple and to spend some time watching the pilgrims and holy men that visit this place. From here we trek to Kagbeni. Kagbeni is an amazing village with a beautiful monastery and a real Tibetan feel. It’s the last stop before we enter the Upper Mustang Restricted zone. We can spend a little time exploring the maze of narrow streets, visiting the monastery and immersing ourselves in the local culture before boarding our vehicle to Jomsom. Overnight in Jomsom. Included meals – breakfast, lunch, dinner.
- Day 15Jomsom flight to Pokhara (25 min flight) This morning we have a short early morning flight to Pokhara. This is arguably the most beautiful mountain flight in Nepal as we head down the valley passing in between the sheer massif’s of Annapurna I (8091m) and Mt Dhaulaghiri (8167m). We should be in Pokhara fairly early and we can enjoy a full day of sightseeing here to finish our trip. Pokhara is a beautiful lakeside town picturesquely located on the banks of Phewa Lake. Particularly beautiful is the area beside the lake with the colorful boats that are abundant here. We can enjoy a boat ride on the lake, some souvenir shopping or just relaxing at one of the many bars and café’s n the area. Overnight in Pokhara. Included meals – breakfast.
- Day 16Pokhara to Kathmandu by vehicle – 5-6 hrs drive We drive back to Kathmandu today. It’s a fairly easy drive and we can sit back and enjoy the scenery. We arrive back in Kathmandu by mid afternoon when you have time for some shopping or to just relax in your hotel. Overnight in Kathmandu. Included meals – breakfast.
- Day 17Departure day Your journey ends today and you will be escorted to the airport by our company representative in time for your flight.
This itinerary may differ slightly during your tour. Occasionally itineraries need to change to allow for weather conditions, transportation , travellers desires etc. It is recommended that you allow an additional 1-2 days before your international flight to allow for mountain airport delays and other unforeseen circumstances.